Walgreens’ Employee Stabbed At Work

Liz Carey

Wicker Park, IL (WorkersCompensation.com) – A woman working at a Chicago-area Walgreens was attacked and fatally stabbed to death earlier this month.

According to authorities, 32-year-old Olga Calderon was working in the Wicker Park Walgreens when she was approached by a man who then “stabbed the female victim multiple times and fled the scene.”

Calderon was declared dead a little under a half hour later.

Officer Jose Jara told the Chicago Tribune that the attacker “walked into the store, identified (the) victim, who is an employee of the store, and stabbed her.”

Officials said they were looking for a person of interest in the attack, as well as searching the area for any additional surveillance video that may provide additional clues about the attacker and where he was before and after the incident.

A spokeswoman for Walgreens, located in Deerfield, IL said the company was saddened by the incident.

“We are very saddened to learn of this tragic incident, and extend our deepest condolences, thoughts and prayers to the family and loved ones of our team member. The safety of our customers and team members is top priority, and we’re continuing to work with local authorities in their investigation. We are also making counseling and other resources available to our other store team members at this location,” the company said in an emailed statement.

The family of the victim has started a GoFundMe page to pay for funeral expenses.

“No one can truly fathom the pain that we are feeling. It’s a pain we shouldn’t be experiencing; she should be here today, celebrating Labor Day weekend with us and getting my niece ready for school,” Andrea Calderon wrote on the page.

The page had raised more than $27,000 as of yesterday morning.

According to the Chicago Tribune, this is at least the second homicide at a Chicago Walgreens in just over a year.

On June 12, 2019, Chicago police investigated the fatal shooting of 46-year-old customer Sircie Varnado.

According to news reports, the manager allegedly contracted Louis Hicks, 33, to show up to the store, and act as a security guard. When the manager believed the 5′ 2”, 100-pound Varnado was shoplifting, he called Hicks to come to the store.

Hicks confronted Varnado, who then started to leave the store. The 6′, 200-pound Hicks grabbed Varnado in a bearhug and slammed her to the ground. After a violent struggle with her, Hicks pointed a gun in Varnado’s face and fired, killing her.

Louis Hicks, 33, was charged with murder, impersonating an officer and aggravated unlawful use of a weapon after the 11:30 p.m. attack June 12 at 4817 W. Fullerton Ave.

News brought to you by WorkersCompensation.com