Three-in-10 Men Say Women’s Gains Have Come At Their Cost

F.J. Thomas

Sarasota, FL (WorkersCompensation.com) – According to data from the US Bureau Of Labor Statistics, the percentage of women working full time has changed very little over the last 50 years. Around 75 percent of women work 35 hours or more per week, and the remaining 25 percent work from 1 to 34 hours. Additionally, over half of workers in America are women.

While the female population has certainly made up their fair share of the workforce, they haven’t always received fair treatment. A century ago, women first gained the right to vote. Since that pivotal point in time, women have worked hard to gain equality in many aspects of the job place. However, a new poll from Pew Research Center indicates that 28 percent of men believe those gains have come at their cost.

From March to April of this year, Pew polled 3,143 members of the Ipsos Public Affairs KnowledgePanel on their views of women’s rights. Respondents were categorized by gender as well as party affiliation.

Overall, of those polled 10 percent stated that women’s rights had gone too far, 57 percent stated that there was more work to be done, and 32 percent believed women’s rights were about equal with men. Eight percent of the total women polled, and 12 percent of the men believed that women had more rights than men. Sixty four percent of the total women polled and 49 percent of the men believed there was more work to be done. Twenty seven percent of the total women and 37 percent of the total men believed that women’s rights were about equal with men’s rights.

While 76 percent of the total polled believed that women’s gains have not come at the cost of men’s rights, 28 percent of the total men polled believed that women’s progress had come at their expense. When broken out by party affiliation, Republican men were twice as likely as Democrats to state women’s progress had come at their expense. Thirty-eight percent of Republicans and 19 percent of reported Democrats stated that women’s rights had been gained at their expense. Additionally, 25 percent of Republican women, and 12 percent of Democratic women stated the same thing.

Among those that believed women’s rights were not equal and more improvements were needed, 77 percent highlighted sexual harassment as the prime obstacle to equal rights. Legal rights were cited by 67 percent, followed by different social expectations at 66 percent, and not enough women in power was the answer given by 64 percent.

When asked what a gender equal workplace looked like, 45 percent stated gender equality should include equal pay. An additional 19 percent stated there should be no bias when hiring, promoting, or providing education.

You can download the full report on the Pew Research Center website.

News brought to you by WorkersCompensation.com