Security Guard Allegedly Killed By No-Show/No-Call Employee

Liz Carey

Las Vegas, NV (WorkersCompensation.com) – Authorities said that a security guard killed at the Wynn Las Vegas this month was shot by a co-worker who later committed suicide.

The Clark County Coroner’s Office said in a press conference that security guard Yoseph Almonte, 31, of Las Vegas, died of multiple gunshot wounds after an employee who had been a no-call, no-show at work shot him from his car.

Authorities identified the shooter as Reggie Tagget, 42, from Las Vegas. Officials said Tagget died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest.

Lt. Ray Spencer with the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department said that officers were called to the hotel and casino around 5:45 p.m. on March 9 after reports of a shooting in the employee parking garage. When they arrived, they learned that an employee who had not shown up to work for several days had arrived on the property, prompting security to respond. When Almonte approached the car, Tagget shot him several times.

Authorities said after the shooting, Tagget shot himself in an apparent murder-suicide.

The shooting caused changes in Wynn’s safety protocols. After a review, the casino now says it will provide security guards with more protection.

“As stated previously, Tuesday evening we commenced a review of our security protocols. As a result, we will enhance our existing protocols with a program to equip our armed officers with ballistic body armor,” the company said in a statement on Thursday.

Wynn Resorts said they were reaching out to both of the employee’s families.

“We are deeply saddened by the tragic incident that occurred this evening. We have reached out to the families of our two employees to offer our condolences and assistance during this difficult time,” the company said in a statement.

A GoFundMe account was started in Almonte’s name to help support his wife, Marjorie Vasquez-Almonte.

Vasquez-Almonte told KLAS News that Almonte had been scared to go to work following a brawl that took place at the Encore Las Vegas Resort – another Wynn property.

She told KLAS her husband enjoyed working at the resort, but that he did not feel safe there since the brawl that took place in the lobby of the Encore on Labor Day.

“They were all frustrated, especially after that brawl that happened last year at the Encore,” she shared. “They were scared because they realized this is out of control.”

According to reports, on Sept. 6, 2020, an unknown man “made it rain” by sending cash flying into the air. After that a crowd formed. Wynn security guards then started to escort members of the crowd out of the resort. As they were walking them out, another man and woman were walking into the area and words were exchanged. Then the man walking into the area “sucker punched” another man being escorted out of the Encore. A fight involving multiple people broke out.

Two security officers were hit in the fight, and videos of the brawl were posted online on social media.

Wynn has since filed suit against the 20 members of the fight, alleging those involved trespassed, caused a nuisance and shed false light on the resort.

Wynn has been damaged in an amount that exceeds $15,000, according to the lawsuit.

According to the GoFundMe account, Almonte had served as a firefighter and as a U.S. Marine. He was honorably discharged in October 2017 as a Sergeant.

Almonte started work at Wynn Las Vegas as a Special Operations Guard where he was promoted to supervisor. According to Matt Levine, the GoFundMe account organizer, Almonte was pursuing his Emergency Medical Technician certification and had a purple belt in Jiu Jitsu.

The GoFundMe account had raised more than $66,000 in one day.

News brought to you by WorkersCompensation.com