Navy Soldier Shoots Two at Business Before Being Shot and Killed at Ft. Detrick

Liz Carey

Frederick, MD (WorkersCompensation.com) – Two people were injured and a third was killed in a shooting in Frederick, Md., officials say.

According to the Frederick police, officers were called to a business tech park in Frederick recently. Frederick Police Chief Jason Lando said during a news conference that a 38-year-old man had entered the business causing some people to flee.

When officers arrived on the scene they found two men who had been shot. The men were flown to Baltimore and admitted to the R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center

for treatment. Authorities said that as of Tuesday afternoon, one of the victims was in critical condition, but the other was being treated and was expected to be released today.

It’s was not immediately clear if the shooter and the victims knew each other.

Police identified the shooter as Fantahun Girma Woldesenbet, an active member of the Navy with a rank of E-4. After the shooting he drove four miles to Fort Detrick military base, where he was shot and killed by law enforcement, Lando said.

“We received information that the shooter, a 38-year-old male, traveled to the Fort Detrick military base,” Lando said during a news conference. “As our officers and our partner agencies began to respond there, we were given notice that the personnel on the base had shot the suspect and he was down. When we arrived at that scene, life-saving efforts were in progress, and we were notified shortly thereafter that the shooter was reported dead.”

The shooter was a Navy Hospital Corpsman, the U.S. Navy tweeted.

In a statement, Fort Detrick officials said the shooter was shot as he entered the compound.

“After a shooting incident off post, the suspect breached the Nalin Pond gate located off of Opossumtown Pike,” officials with Fort Detrick said in a statement. “The gunman was neutralized within minutes, and medical lifesaving procedures were initiated. The gunman was pronounced dead at the scene.”

Brigadier General Michael Talley said a BOLO (Be On the Look Out) report had been issued for Woldesenbet and he was stopped at the gate. However, before his car could be searched, the general said, he sped past a worker and made it about a half mile onto the grounds of the military base. Fort Detrick’s Quick Reaction Force was able to stop him, Talley said, but Woldesenbet showed his weapon, a rifle, and was then “neutralized” by base police.

Attempts to resuscitate Woldesenbet were carried out for 20 minutes before he was pronounced dead at the scene.

An Army installation, Fort Detrick focuses on scientific research and development, and is part of the U.S. government’s efforts to study and combat the coronavirus.

Talley said the two victims were soldiers, and authorities confirmed the shooting location was a military institution with ties to the Navy.

A representative from a neighboring business said one of the victims came to them for help.

Jeremy Mutschlur, director of marketing and advertising for Nicolock Paving Stones and Retaining Walls, said Nicolock employees saw a man walk into the business’ warehouse across the street from where the shooting occurred.

The employees then assisted the man into a bathroom and had other workers secure the building. The victim was shot in the upper chest-neck area resulting in a “significant amount of blood,” Mutschler said.

News brought to you by WorkersCompensation.com