Authorities Open Murder Investigation Into Shooting Death Of Capitol Police Officer

Liz Carey

Washington, D.C. ( – Authorities recently announced they were opening a federal murder investigation into the death of a Capital Police officer following the riots at the U.S. Capitol.

Brian Sicknick, a U.S. Capitol Police officer died earlier this month, according to a statement by Capitol Police. Sicknick was injured when a mob of protesters stormed the U.S. Capitol.

“Officer Sicknick was responding to the riots on Wednesday, January 6, 2021, at the U.S. Capitol and was injured while physically engaging with protesters. He returned to his division office and collapsed. He was taken to a local hospital where he succumbed to his injuries,” the statement read.

He died at approximately 9:30 p.m., according to the statement. His death is being investigated by the DC Metropolitan Police Department’s homicide branch, the U.S. Capitol Police and other federal partners.

“The entire USCP Department expresses its deepest sympathies to Officer Sicknick’s family and friends on their loss, and mourns the loss of a friend and colleague,” Capitol Police said in its statement.

Authorities are hoping to locate video or other images from the scene. His father, Charles Sicknick told reporters his son was pepper-sprayed then bludgeoned with a fire extinguisher while tackling rioters who stormed the Senate. He also said his son was a Trump supporter.

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi ordered flags to be flown at half mast on the Capitol in Sicknick’s honor.

“On behalf of the House of Representatives, I send our deepest condolences to the family and loved ones of Officer Brian Sicknick, who died after defending the Capitol complex and protecting those who serve and work here,” Pelosi said in a statement Friday. “The perpetrators of Officer Sicknick’s death must be brought to justice,” Pelosi added. “The violent and deadly act of insurrection targeting the Capitol, our temple of American Democracy, and its workers was a profound tragedy and stain on our nation’s history.”

The attack started around 1:30 following a “Stop the Steal” rally organized by pro-President Trump organizations. After speaking to the crowd, trump urged them to walk down Pennsylvania Avenue to the Capitol where Congress was in session, certifying votes from the Electoral College.

Around that time the Cannon and James Madison Buildings were evacuated due to a suspicious package. However, Congress remained in session working. At 2:13 p.m., Congress was notified that protesters had entered the building. Some members of the House of Representatives hid under their desks and under chairs in the gallery as protesters tried to access the House floor. By 2:30 p.m., Vice President Mike Pence had been evacuated from the building.

Rioters broke windows, scaled walls and pushed past police to gain entrance to the building. Once there, they roamed through Statuary Hall, onto the floor of the Senate and into Congressional offices. Around 3 p.m., a woman attempting to enter the area where Congressmen were gathered was shot. She later died of her injuries. D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser put in place a 6 p.m. curfew.

At 4:17, President Trump appeared in a brief video, asking protesters to “go home,” saying “we must have peace.”

By 6 p.m., helped by backup from the National Guard and police departments from surrounding areas, the Capitol Police and Metropolitan Police were able to push protesters back.

More than 50 officers were reportedly injured in the attack, and more than a dozen of those were hospitalized.

Three others died in the attack. Benjamin Phillips, 50, from Ringtown, Pennsylvania; Kevin Greeson, 55, from Athens, Alabama; and Rosanne Boyland, 34, from Kennesaw, Georgia all died from what the Capitol Police said were “medical emergencies” in a press conference.

News brought to you by